The DMC-FZ20 is a 5 megapixel consumer digital camera with a 12x optical zoom. Plus, its F2.8 brightness across the entire 12x zoom range provides extraordinary image-rendering performance and puts you in control over a wide variety of shooting techniques. The DC Vario-Elmarit lens combines a comfortably small size with superb image rendering, and the Venus Engine LSI ensures that you will capture rich, expressive images. Furthermore, the MEGA Optical Image Stabilizer offsets unintentional hand movement to give you clear, sharp images even when taking handheld telephoto shots or shooting at night.
The DMC-FZ20 is versatile while still easy to use. It stores images on Secure Digital (SD) or MultiMediaCards (MMC) which combine high storage capacity, rapid data transfer, and flexibility - all in a card about the size of a postage stamp. A Motion Image Recording mode with Audio records moving images with audio at a resolution of 320 x 240 pixels with no limit on segment length save for the available card capacity. The camera includes a full complement of Photo Editing Software (ArcSoft PhotoBase, ArcSoft PhotoImpression, AcSoft Panorama Maker and SD Viewer for DSC)
12x Optical Zoom and F2.8 Brightness Across the Entire Zoom Range
The DMC-FZ20S has a 12x optical lens system that is equivalent to 36mm to 432mm in a 35mm film camera. It comprises 13 lenses in eight groups, including three aspherical lenses and boasts F2.8 brightness across the entire zoom range. Plus, the DMC-FZ20S also provides 4x digital zooming1--combine that with the 12x optical zoom to get up to 48x zoom power for ultra-long-distance telephoto shots.
Our MEGA Optical Image Stabilizer Helps Eliminate Blurry Pictures
Jitter from shaky hands is one of the main reasons why cameras produce blurry images. We don't expect everyone to have hands of stone when taking pictures--that's why Lumix® cameras help solve the problem of unsteady hands with advanced MEGA Optical Image Stabilizer technology. The DMC-FZ20S has a built-in gyrosensor that detects any hand movement and relays a signal to a tiny microcomputer inside the camera, which instantly calculates the compensation needed. A linear motor then shifts the Optical Image Stabilizer lens as necessary to guide incoming light from the image straight to the CCD. You won't even notice it working--all you'll see are the outstanding results!
Quality Pictures Start with a Quality Leica Lens
The LEICA DC VARIO-ELMARIT2 lens on the DMC-FZ20S follows in the Leica tradition of excellence. Although it is small in size, it has a large, bright aperture, meeting Leica's stringent quality standards. A Leica multi-coating process applied to the lens helps to prevent the fogging caused by flare, and ghosts that can result from excessive light. Even enlarged images captured by the DMC-FZ20S are crisp and clear--right to the edges.
Take Consecutive Shots at an Amazing 3 Frames Per Second!
Thanks to the high-performance Venus Engine™ II LSI, shutter release time lag is reduced to approximately 0.008 seconds and the shutter interval to only around 0.4 seconds3. This gives the DMC-FZ20S a super-fast response that lets you snap off consecutive shots at 3 frames per second with full resolution. And the Unlimited Consecutive Shooting function4 allows unlimited consecutive shooting up to the capacity of the SD Memory Card in the camera--ideal for capturing fast-moving objects in high resolution.
Take Control of Your Camera with the Manual Functions of the DMC-FZ20S
Like doing things for yourself? Then why not give the Auto Focus a rest and try taking some pictures with the Manual Focus feature. Simply flick the Focus button on the side of the lens to MF (Manual Focus) and you're ready to go. If you need to check the focus, our Manual Focus Assist function enlarges the center part of the image in the viewfinder or LCD monitor by 3x for easy viewing. Want more control? The Manual Exposure Mode allows you to select the aperture and shutter speed of your choice. You can even see how much your setting differs from the setting the camera considers optimal with the Manual Exposure Assist function.
- Flip Animation: Allows you to create your own frame-by-frame animations.
- Unlimited Consecutive Shooting: Allows consecutive shooting up to the capacity of the SD memory card.
- Two-inch diagonal polycrystalline TFT LCD display (130k pixels)
- Hot shoe for external flash attachment
- Mega Burst Shooting Mode: Shoot up to seven images at three or two frames-per-second in standard resolution, or up to four images in fine resolution. This option is designed to provide you with the best selection of photos during action, such as a sporting event.
Storage and Transfer
Images and video are stored on Secure Digital (SD) memory cards. A 16 MB SD card is included. Files can be downloaded to either a Mac or PC via USB connectivity, which means it can be connected to any USB-based Windows 98/Me/2000/XP and Mac OS 8.6 or later computer without installing any software.
This camera supports the PictBridge standard. PictBridge is a technology that lets you transfer pictures from a digital camera to a compatible printer, without a PC or image-editing software. Because PictBridge is an industry standard, users can connect PictBridge-compatible devices made by many different manufacturers. Learn more about PictBridge.
Power and Size
The camera is powered by lithium-ion battery pack (included with charger). It measures 3.43 by 5.02 by 4.18 inches and weighs 1.14 pounds.
What's in the Box
DMC-FZ20S digital camera, battery charger, battery pack, 16MB SD memory card, lens cap, lens hood with adaptor, A/V and USB cables, strap, and CD-ROM
Sensor • 1/2.5" Type CCD
• 5.3 million pixels total
• 5.0 million effective pixels Image sizes
• 2560 x 1920
• 2048 x 1536
• 1600 x 1200
• 1280 x 960
• 640 x 480
• 1920 x 1080 (16:9 HDTV)
Movie clips • 320 x 240 (10 / 30 fps)
• With audio
• Limited only by storage
• MOV (Motion JPEG) Lens
• 36 - 432 mm equiv. (12x zoom)
• F2.8 (throughout zoom range)
• MEGA OIS (Mode 1 / Mode 2)
• LEICA DC VARIO-ELMARIT
• 13 Elements in 8 Groups
• 3 Aspherical Lenses/3 Aspherical Surfaces, 1 ED Lens
Focus • 1 point, 3 point, 9 point Autofocus
• Single shot or Continuous AF
• Switcheable focus trigger
• Manual Focus(Ring)
• 5cm macro mode (Wide), 200cm (Tele) Shooting mode
• Program (with shift)
• Aperture Priority
• Shutter Priority
• Moving Image
• Night Landscape
• Night Portrait
• AE compensation -2.0EV to +2.0 EV in 1/3EV steps
• Auto bracketing
Sensitivity • Auto
• ISO 80, 100, 200, 400 White Balance • Auto
• 4 presets
• Custom WB (manual)
• White Balance fine tune (R-B) Image parameters • Contrast (Low, Standard, High)
• Sharpness (Low, Standard, High)
• Saturation (Low, Standard, High)
• Noise reduction (Low, Standard, High)
• Color effects (Cool, Warm, Black & White, Sepia) Continuous • Full resolution: 3 or 2 fps
• Full resolution: max 7 images (standard mode), 4 images (fine mode)
• Infinite consecutive (unlimited but slower shooting rate) Flash • Built-in pop-up flash
• Modes: Auto, Auto with red-eye reduction, Slow sync, On/Off
• Range: 0.3 to 7.0 m (0.98 feet - 23.0 feet)
• External flash via hot-shoe Storage • SD/MMC
• 16 MB SD supplied* Viewfinder • EVF (114,000 pixels)
• Field of view approx 100%
• -4 to +4 dioptre adjustment LCD monitor • 2.0" TFT LCD
• 130,000 pixels Connectivity
• USB 2.0 Full Speed (12 Mbits/s)
• A/V out
• Remote socket
Power • Lithium-Ion rechargeable battery
• Charger included
In the box*
• Battery Charger
• Battery Pack
• 16MB 6 SD Memory Card
• Lens Cap
• Lens Hood & Adaptor
• A/V & USB Cable
• CD-ROM inc ArcSoft software bundle
• TIFF mode
• Spot, Center-weighted & Multi-pattern metering
• PictBridge and DPOF compatible
• Mega Optical Image Stabilisation
• Live Histogram
• AF assist lamp
• Built-in speaker and microphone
• Flip Animation function
• In-camera picture resizing and cropping
• Voice annotation
• 2/10 second self-timer
• Venus Engine II™ LSI Image Processor
Weight (inc batt) 556 g (1.2 lb) Dimensions 128 x 87 x 106 mm (5.0 x 3.4 x 4.2 in)
Panasonic DMC-FZ20S PanasonicDMC-FZ20S
||Camera Effective Pixels 5.0 Megapixels
||CCD (Image Sensor) 1/2.5"
||5.36 Total Megapixel CCD
||Primary Color Filter
||Optical Zoom 12x
||Digital Zoom 1 4x
||(up to 48x Total Zoom when combined with 12x Optical Zoom)